If your tooth is significantly damaged or decayed, our knowledgeable dentists may recommend a dental crown to return your beautiful, healthy smile. To learn more about dental crowns in Bossier City, Louisiana, and to make your appointment with Dr. Stephen R. Hooper, Dr. Stephen Tyer or Dr. Christopher G. Hooper, please contact Hooper Family Dentistry.
A dental crown, sometimes called a cap, is a dental restoration that is designed to entirely cover the tooth, starting at the gum line. Depending on your personal dental needs and preferences, a crown can be created from tooth-colored porcelain, gold or porcelain fused to metal. Our experienced dentists may recommend a dental crown if:
- A tooth is severely decayed and a filling will not provide a successful restoration
- An old dental filling breaks down, gets decay around it, or is weakened
- A tooth is cracked or otherwise weakened
- A tooth is broken and cannot be repaired with a filling
- A tooth is extremely sensitive
- A tooth needs to be protected and restored after root canal therapy
Receiving a dental crown usually requires two visits to our practice. During the first visit, we will prepare the tooth by removing a small amount of enamel to allow for the thickness of the crown. We then take molds and impressions of your teeth to ensure that the dental crown fits properly, and we will fit the tooth with a temporary crown. The custom crown is made at a dental laboratory, then sent back to our office. After making any needed adjustments, we will attach the crown to the tooth with a special dental cement.
We welcome you to call or visit us soon for more information on the uses and benefits of dental crowns.