Did you know, there is a connection between heart disease and your oral health? Yes, it’s true! Your smile is essential to your overall health, which is why it’s important to understand the connection between your oral health and your total body’s health. By following this connection between your oral health and heart disease, you will be able to identify better ways to improve both aspects of your health.
Our dentistss, Dr. Stephen R. Hooper and Dr. Christopher G. Hooper, care about your overall health, including your oral health. That is why our team in Bossier City, Louisiana, is happy to share some insight on the link between heart disease and oral health.
Here are some basic facts about the link between heart disease and your oral health:
– Your oral health and heart disease are connected due to the spread of bacteria from your mouth into other parts of your body.
– When bacteria travels from your mouth into your bloodstream, it can latch onto your heart and lead to an oral health condition known as endocarditis.
– Other conditions associated with poor oral hygiene and your heart health include an increased risk of strokes and atherosclerosis
– If you suffer from gum tissue infections including gingivitis, you are at a greater risk for heart disease.
– Your dentist can provide you with oral health care treatments and cleanings to lower your risk for heart disease.
– To improve your oral hygiene and lower your risk for heart disease, brush and floss every day.
As you can see, taking care of your teeth is essential to your health. If you have questions about your oral health, or if you feel it’s time to see a dentist, please call us today at 318-742-2272 to make an appointment. Our Hooper Family Dentistry team is happy to give you a dental exam and assist you.